last updated 7 April 2021


The Study in Japan Global Network Project for Sub-Saharan Africa is entrusted by Ministry of Education, Sports, Culture, Science and Technology (MEXT) of Japan. On behalf of the entire universities in Japan, Hokkaido University Africa Office in Lusaka is entrusted for the operation. This project works to expand opportunities for prospective students from Sub-Saharan African region to study in Japan.
Q1. What is Study-in-Japan Global Network Project for Sub-Saharan Africa?

Registration to the project is not required. This project does not ask for fee at any point of inquiries or consultation.

For any specific questions or for further inquiry, kindly contact through designated ENQUIRY FORM which will help us to learn your background to consult accordingly.

Q2. Do I need to register to this project in order to apply to a Japanese university?

Four simplified steps are described in Steps to Study in Japan page.

For any latest news/updates, follow our SNS Facebook, Twitter and Instagram  

Q3. I am interested in studying in Japan and would like a general information/overview.
First and foremost, you will need a firm plan and vision that you want to study in Japan. Understanding the reason of why you want to study in Japan, at what educational institution, from what year and taking the preparation periods and costs in mind.
Flow chart to help you plan.
"Student Guide to Japan" guidebook provides detail information 
Q4. What is the first step to take to study in Japan?
【Undergraduate level】
1. Selecting university and course
2. Read through the application guideline
3. Submission of application
4. Apply to scholarship if needed
5. Preparation of visa and other documents
【Postgraduate level】
1. Selecting a university with course aligning with your undergraduate study and professor you wish to be supervised by
2. Contact the professor to obtain a pre-enrollment approval from the university (this step may differ per university)
3. Apply to scholarship if needed
4. Preparation of visa and other documents
Undergraduate and postgraduate procedures differs slightly. Finding a supervisor for your research at postgraduate is a must.
Q5. What are the steps and paths to studying undergraduate and postgraduate in Japan?

You do not need to travel to Japan for application.

Application can be submitted to each university either by online or post.  

Please check the submission method at each university you wish to apply to. They may also change the submission method every year.

Q6. I am currently living in Africa. Do I have to travel to Japan for application or can I apply from my home country/outside Japan?

Undergraduate level

Applicants must be eligible at one of the following conditions; 

A) applicants who have completed 12 (twelve) years of school education in countries other than Japan;
B) applicants who have completed their studies at a school equivalent to a Japanese upper secondary school in
countries other than Japan;
C) applicants who have successfully passed an academic qualification examination that is equivalent to the
completion of 12 (twelve) years of school education in countries other than Japan; or 
D) other than the above A), B) and C) conditions, applicants who are eligible for enrollment in a Japanese university at the time of application


Postgraduate level

1. Master’s course / Doctoral course (first phase)

E) applicants who have completed 16 (sixteen) years of school education in countries other than Japan;
F) applicants who have completed a program with a standard study period of three years or more at universities or equivalent educational institutions in countries other than Japan and received a degree equivalent to a bachelor’s degree; or 
G) other than the above E) and F) conditions, applicants who are eligible for enrollment in a master’s course /doctoral course (first phase) at a Japanese graduate school


2. Doctoral course (second phase)

H) applicants who have been awarded with an overseas degree equivalent to a master’s degree or professional degree;
I) applicants who have graduated from universities and have been involved in a research study at universities or research centers (including overseas universities and research centers) for two years or more, and recognized as having academic competency equivalent to persons with a master’s degree by the graduate school; or 
J) other than the above H) and I) conditions, applicants who are eligible for enrollment in a doctoral course (second phase) at a Japanese graduate school


3. Doctoral course (faculties of medicine, dentistry, veterinary sciences and certain areas in pharmaceutical fields)

K) applicants who have completed 18 (eighteen) years of school education in countries other than Japan;
L) applicants who have completed a program with a standard study period of five years or more at universities
or equivalent educational institutions in countries other than Japan and received a degree equivalent to a bachelor’s degree;
M) applicants who have completed 16 (sixteen) years of school education in countries other than Japan and have been involved in a research study at universities or research centers (including overseas universities and research centers) for two years or more, and recognized as having academic competency equivalent to university graduates in medicine, dentistry, veterinary sciences or certain areas in pharmaceutical fields by the graduate school; or 
O) other than the above K), L) and M) conditions, applicants who are eligible for enrollment in a doctoral course (faculties of medicine, dentistry, veterinary sciences and certain areas in pharmaceutical fields) at a Japanese graduate school.

Q7. What is the eligibility for admission at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels?
Applicant must meet the transfer requirements of the university he/she wish to transfer to. Transfer exams may be required. For details, please contact the university directly.
For more, kindly access the links below;

Q8. [About transfer] Can a sophomore (the second year) college student apply for a transfer and enroll as a third-year student at a university in Japan?


Most Japanese universities require prospective students to submit a certificate of English proficiency upon application.

Following English language proficiency scores are acceptable at most universities.


Q1. Is a certificate of English proficiency required upon application?

Application eligibility differ per university. Applicant’s academic achievement as well as whether the applicant has adequate language skills to take courses in English is determined by the language proficiency test score.  

Hence, applicants must submit their English test score as one of the application documents if the university requires to do so.

In some cases, submitting a proof that one studied in English for past years can substitute but this should be confirmed by the university beforehand. 

Q2. Why is English proficiency certificate required even when English is an official language in my country?

English proficiency certificate is not required in this case. However, learning Japanese will make a life in Japan easier and will be an advantage when looking for a job in Japan.

There are options to study Japanese after enrolling into your university.

Q3. Do I need Japanese language proficiency for application and admission process even when applying to a course taught only in English?


Yes, Japanese universities have programme at universities and graduate schools, where students can obtain a degree by only taking classes taught in English.

Kindly check the course lists of Japanese universities where you are able to learn in English at Universities & Courses offered in English page and also the list of scholarships on the Scholarships page.

Q1. Is there an option to study only in English?

From the list Universities & Courses offered in English download the file titled English Degree Courses (Bachelor, Master, Doctor).

You will find list of courses offering the master’s programme in physics.

Alternatively, access Study in Japan for Africa data portal to search more.

Following websites can also be useful for extra search.

Q2. How can I find a university/graduate school to study master’s courses in physics?

In principle it is possible to obtain degree and scholarship if you show high academic performance. However, you must confirm necessary academic background details from the university's website which you wish to enroll to as academic background required for admission may vary.

For scholarship, inquire to the university whether you are eligible for scholarships upon application.

Regarding business-related courses which set classes taught in English for degree requirements, following universities have courses with high rate of international students especially from Africa.

International University of Japan
Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University
Q3. I would like to take master’s course on business even though by undergraduate degree is Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.), nothing related to business. Am I eligible for a scholarship in business-related course?

From our page Universities & Courses offered in English download the file English Degree Courses (Bachelor's, Master's, Doctor) to see the full list of courses for Sports Science and Health Sciences.

Universities are such as;

Tsukuba University and 
Q4. Are there any courses to study Physical Education or Sports Science taught in English with scholarship or financial support?

Animation and manga are taught at specialized training colleges called Senshyu Gakko or Senmon Gakko. However, classes are taught only in Japanese.

To study manga in university is also an option, especially in private universities. One of which is Kyoto Seika University

Trivia: The Vice Chancellor of Kyoto Seika University is Prof. Oussouby SACKO from Mali.


To study Japanese culture more broadly, Japanology may also be an option, which can be studied at universities offering Japanese Studies such as Hokkaido University Modern Japanese Studies Program for undergraduate.

Q5. I am interested to study Japanese animation and manga. Where can I apply?


University’s website often has their contact shown in their faculty staff page.

Should you find difficulty to find the contact, we advise you to inquire the professor through university administrative offices or general enquiry page of the website.

Q1. Where can I find contact of professor?

There are varieties of universities in Japan to choose from. Which sometimes makes it hard to find the appropriate supervisor for your major.

Study in Japan for Africa data portal can be useful.  

Q2. I need a guidance to get in touch with professor of my major, chemical engineering/chemistry. How can I be assisted?

It is advisable to introduce yourself thoroughly including following points. Please note that professors receive numerous emails every day. Your email should be polite, professional and to the point

·       Summary of your past/present study indicating your specialty in the major.

·       Reason you wish the professor to be your prospected supervisor.

·       Study intended to be conducted at the graduate course during your Masters/Doctorate course. Note: When enrolling into PhD course, do explain about your current research at Masters. 

Q3. I would like to know what points should be included in my first e-mail when contacting professor at Japanese university.

APPLICATION | screening process

For undergraduate, written exams are common for both international and domestic (Japanese) students. Place of examination may be taken under consideration to be conducted at examinee’s country which should be confirmed by university you wish to apply to. Some universities do determine admission solely by application materials or online interviews.

For students to enroll into graduate courses, majority of the screening is done by online interview and submission of research proposal.


Above is subject to change and admission process and requirements vary by university. Check their admission guideline for the latest information. In addition, submission of English proficiency certificate is also required by several universities.


For general information of exams for studying in Japan

Q1. As a part of screening process does Japanese universities conduct written exams?

IB diploma graduates who are 18 (eighteen) years old or above are eligible to apply to universities in Japan.

More than 50 (fifty) Japanese universities consider IB scores when screening candidates. For detail admission guideline, visit

Please note that some university will require Japanese essay for application and classes may be taught in English.

Q2. I have an International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma. Can I apply for a Japanese university?

Japanese universities do not have a collective nationwide application period. Most common application period are between June and January.

Admission is either April (spring) or September/October (fall).

Q3. I would like to know the application and admission schedule.

Application process should be followed by the guideline to be provided by your current affiliating university’s internationalization office/host university in Japan.

In the case of financial support, there may be a financial support to study in Japan. Such as the


For example, Hokkaido University’s Inter-University Exchange Agreements and Memorandums of Understanding on Student Exchange states that affiliating universities (partner universities) across Sub-Saharan Africa are eligible for following exchange programme.

Q4. I am a student at one of the universities with an exchange programme agreement with Japanese university. What is the process of application?

For undergraduate study, there are two programmes taught in English.

Modern Japanese Studies Program (MJSP)

Integrated Science Program (ISP)


For graduate studies, there are several options to be studied in English.


For more, visit the following websites;

Q5. I would like to apply for Hokkaido University. Where can I receive further information?

Short-term students are generally considered non-regular students, to not obtain a degree, regardless of the length of program, which varies from few weeks to a full academic year.

For more:

Universities with short-term study programs:

Scholarships for short-term study programs:

Q6. I am interested in joining a short-term study program at Japanese universities which does not provide a degree. How can I find the such program with a degree?


Scholarships are applied either;

1.    Prior to coming to Japan 

2.    After arrival and enrollment in a Japanese university

Please refer to the Scholarships page for details.

Following links provide necessary guidance, available funds and application procedures.

Q1. I would like to know scholarships to study in Japan.

Scholarship such as Japanese Government MEXT Scholarship has an age limit of 35 for graduate, while there are several scholarships without age limit.

List of scholarships are available at Scholarships page.

In addition, some university offer their own scholarship/tuition waiver which may be applicable too. 

Q2. Are there any scholarships without age limitation?

Visit our Scholarships page. 

For further information, you can ask local Japanese Embassy. Japanese Embassies located in Sub-Sharan Africa:

Q3. Where can I find the information of the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship to be applied through the Japanese Embassy?

Application will open in late April every year and submission to be done in April/May. Though this is subjected to change.

If you check the website of your local Japanese Embassy around March, or the following website, you may find the information even if there should be delays depends on years and countries:

Q4. When will the application period of the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship be opened by the Japanese Embassy?

This full scholarship covers full tuition, monthly allowance and a return trip flight ticket between Japan and your home country.

Japanese government (MEXT) scholarships

There are various categories as research (postgraduate) students, undergraduate students, college of technology students, and special training college students, etc.. Your local Japanese Embassy will decide a category to apply.

Eligibility requirements

Application process

Guideline and application form for research students

For undergraduate students

For college of technology students

For specialized training college students

Q5. Can I get detailed information of the Japanese Government MEXT Scholarship (via Embassy recommendation) to study in Japan?

MEXT scholarship applicants are instructed to contact Japanese universities for provisional acceptance only after passing the first screening of MEXT scholarship.

Q6. I am considering to apply to MEXT scholarship. When should I contact a provisional professor in Japan?

This decision is made by the Embassy of Japan. Some will state it does not have negative impact and rather priorities exam scores of other basic subjects such as English, Mathematics and Natural Science.

Q7. How much would the score of Japanese language exams affect the MEXT scholarship screening process?

Please inquire Embassy of Japan of your home country.

Q8. Is the MEXT scholarship for Teacher Training Students available?

The MEXT scholarship for Japanese Studies is open only to those who has obtain a degree in the same area.

If you are a Japanese language instructor or specialist without any degrees in Japanese studies, a program offered at Japan Foundation may be an option. Japanese-Language program of the Japan Foundation:

Q9. Is the MEXT scholarship for Teacher Training Students available?

If you have a high academic performance record as more than 2.3 of GPA, it would be fine. However, even your score is lower than that, you can still apply for the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship (via Japanese Embassy Recommendation).

If your university or institute does not use GPA on the 1 to  3 point scale or GPA system itself, recalculate your evaluation mark using the link below, for your reference: 

Q10. What score in GPA is preferred to apply for MEXT scholarships?

Written exams are part of screening process of MEXT scholarship.

Previous exam questions can be viewed for your reference to prepare for the application.

Q11. What preparation is required when one is applying for MEXT Scholarship? Are there any written exams for selection?

Ashinaga Africa Initiative is funded by the Ashinaga Uganda. Application period opens every September. For detail:

Q12. I would like to know about scholarships under the Ashinaga Africa Initiative.

Yes. Some scholarships can only be applied after arriving in Japan.

Q13. Are there any scholarships I can apply after arriving in Japan?

PREPARATION FOR DEPARTURE | visa | learning Japanese

Student visa must be obtained when traveling to Japan for study. Apply to Japanese Embassy at your country before departure.

Detail of immigration procedures including visa application:

Q1. What is the process to obtain visa to travel to Japan for study.

We do not assist on this matter. Passport and visa must be obtained by applicant. 

Q2. Can I get assistance to prepare passport and visa?

Costs or any fee to obtain passport and visa should be done at applicant’s expense.

Q3. Who pays costs of the passport and visa?

Depending on the university and scholarship system you apply for, required documents and the application method for visa will differ slightly. The cost of document submission, passport and visa acquisition will be borne by each individual and the detail should be confirmed at Embassy of Japan in your residing country.

Q4. Can you tell me the cost required during the procedure?

One can start studying Japanese online prior to traveling to Japan.

Options are listed in our Learn Japanese page.

Q5. I want to learn Japanese language, but there is no place nearby to learn.

Others | part-time job | employment

Student visa is granted to international students in Japan which is a status of residence as STUDENT and not permitting work. However, if international students wish to work to cover tuition or other necessary expenses, part-time job for 28hours/week (hours are limited to 8hrs/day during summer, winter and spring holidays) in accordance with their “permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted” from the Immigration Bureau.

PLEASE NOT: Those who are receiving any scholarships should re-confirm the rules and regulations of the scholarship. Some does not allow part-time job.

Q1. Can I work while studying in Japan?

Yes, there is an internship program for international students by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), Japan.

Application period is usually during April to June (subject to change each year).

For other internship options, visit here.

Q2. Are internship available while studying in Japan?

Employment rate of international students at Japanese companies are increasing annually. They are keen to hire talented and highly capable personnel regardless of nationality.

Job opportunities are indicated more at JASSO.

The Japanese government has established a system of preferential treatment in order to accelerate the inflow of highly-skilled foreign professionals to Japan. For further information about highly-skilled foreign professionals in Japan, visit the following links;

Q3. Can I work in Japan after studying in Japan?

Financial support offered at universities can be found at their websites. The Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) has scholarships for Japanese:

You can find degree courses taught in English in our Universities & Courses offered in English page.

Q4. I have a Japanese passport with Japanese nationality, though I cannot speak Japanese. Can I still apply for a scholarship to enroll at a Japanese university?

For further Enquiry ▼

FAQ provided by other institutions

Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO)

Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU)

Tokyo Japanese Language Education Center